Interested in a free curling TRIAL for children & parents?
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to make an arrangement in September 2019.
Or telephone Jennifer Langford at 905-434-6882
The focus is on Fun, Friendship, Etiquette, and Safety while learning curling skills that will last a lifetime. Watch this video to understand the ethics that curling supports. These are the words of our sport.
What do I need to get started in curling?
Curling clubs always provide the playing surface and the stones (also called rocks).
The Oshawa Curling Club has a large number of spare brooms available for our Little Rock curlers and their parents to borrow.
It is not necessary to purchase curling shoes. New curlers should bring a pair of INDOOR clean, dry, soft rubber-soled running shoes.
- Please do not WEAR the shoes that you will wearing on the ice to the club as we need to keep our ice clean and free of dirt and road-salt. We will use a special type of tape to cover the bottom of one shoe in order to simulate the hard, sliding surface of a curling shoe.
For safety, curlers are not allowed on the ice without 2 grippers!! We require that curlers purchase a pair of grippers (also called anti-sliders) to fit the shoes that will be dedicated to use at curling. The cost is approximately $35/pair. Grippers may be purchased through Last Rock Curling Co. www.lastrock.ca
- For the TRIAL SESSION ONLY, these grippers may be borrowed from the club.
- Returning curlers are reminded to check their current set of grippers to ensure they fit and are not worn out. Remember that it is important to keep our ice clean.
Oshawa Curling Club's Little Rock program requires that the wearing of CSA-approved helmet suitable for ice sports is mandatory for anyone under the age of 12. The type of helmet required would be one such as worn for skating or snow boarding. The curling club does not provide helmets.
- Information about wearing helmets to prevent injury can be found here:
- The Oshawa Curling Club will be requiring youth curlers to sign a customized version of the Waiver(s) that is found on this webpage:
- Please wear loose-fitting, comfortable clothes. Jeans or tight-fitting pants are not recommended, but track pants are a great idea. Dressing the upper body in layers is a good idea as the playing area is cold, but after some activity on the ice, curlers may feel pretty warm. If you are particularly sensitive to the cold, a hat is a good idea. Gloves or mitts are also very practical.
Still have questions? Please call me.
Jennifer Langford - Little Rock Coordinator